Since our founding in 1924, Brown & Kelly has enjoyed a solid reputation as a leader in insurance law, serving the insurance industry as corporate counsel as well as defense and coverage counsel. Our lawyers understand the demands placed upon the insurance companies and their claims personnel. We provide support to our insurance clients by keeping them advised of new regulations and developing case law through newsletters, in-house seminars and industry conferences. When insurance coverage for a claim is disputed, we provide our insurance clients with coverage opinions and assist in drafting disclaimer and reservation of rights letters. When coverage positions are challenged, we represent insurers in declaratory judgment actions. When coverage is afforded, our lawyers provide a vigorous defense to the policyholder.
As insurance-retained defense counsel, Brown & Kelly defends major national and international companies, individuals and local businesses, municipalities and organizations, in state and federal courts. Many of our cases are multi-party cases with complex liability issues and high exposure. We work with the insurer to develop a comprehensive litigation strategy to achieve a successful yet cost effective resolution. We integrate an on-going evaluation process into the strategy so a determination can be made on a continuing basis whether to settle or take a case to trial. We prepare the defense of a case with an eye toward summary judgment motions, especially in potentially high verdict cases involving questionable liability. We incorporate mediation and other forms of ADR into our litigation strategy whenever possible.
With extensive experience in all aspects of insurance law, Brown & Kelly attorneys provide insurance companies with aggressive, reliable and cost-effective representation.
- Defense of bodily injury claims, including construction and labor law, products liability, motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, catastrophic injuries, wrongful death and assault and battery
- Defense of toxic torts claims, including asbestos, lead, mold, benzene, carbon monoxide, and environmental spills
- Defense of personal injury claims, including libel, slander, malicious prosecution and abuse of process
- Defense of first party property claims including pre-suit investigation
- Defense of claims against municipalities, including Section 1983 civil rights claims
- Defense of workplace and employment discrimination claims
- Defense of housing discrimination claims brought by HUD and state/local housing agencies
- Defense of bad faith and unfair practice claims
- Coverage analysis, opinion letters and declaratory judgment actions
- No-fault and supplemental uninsured/underinsured arbitrations
- Fraudulent claims investigations
- Errors and omissions
- Fidelity and surety
- Worker’s Compensation